Write an Article
Write an Article
Our chapter distributes a monthly newsletter containing articles about project management and related disciplines. Contributing an article to the newsletter provides chapter members with the following opportunities:
- Contribute to the success of the chapter newsletter.
- Share personal knowledge and experience for the education of readers.
- Gain valuable experience in journalistic writing before submitting work to professional periodicals like PMI Network magazine, the PMI Today® newsletter, or the Project Management Journal® quarterly.
- Raise visibility and name-recognition before running for the Board of Directors.
- Earn Professional Development Units (PDUs) toward renewing PMP certification.
- The newsletter is published by the first of each month.
- Articles for the upcoming month should be submitted to the Vice President of Communications & Publicity no later than the 20th of the preceding month.
- Be informative and share your unique expertise and/or experience.
- Contain a complete thought. We expect it will take a minimum of 250 words to form a complete thought, but this is not an inflexible number.
- Be written in English and use proper spelling and grammar, with an emphasis on readability.
- Include sub-headings and bullet points where appropriate.
- Cite references and sources within the body of the text.
- Include recommendations for further reading where appropriate.
- Articles should NOT…
- Be a press release, advertisement, or promotional.
- Be an article that was purchased or is already published in the public domain. PMI EIC only allows original articles by the original authors.
- Include content that is a violation of any law, be considered defamatory or libelous, contain pornography, hate, violence, or have an insulting, obscene or degrading tone.
- Include footnotes or bibliographical references.
- Submissions must come directly from the original author.
- It is the responsibility of the author to secure permission for source or reference materials, which should be cited in the body of the text.
- There are no restrictions as to the number of articles that an author may submit.
- Multiple submissions of the same article are not accepted.
- Submission of an article does not guarantee publication.
Editing and Copyright
- By submitting material, the author grants PMI EIC permission to publish the material in chapter publications.
- PMI EIC reserves the right to edit your submission for style, grammar, clarity, length, legal or other reasons. All changes will be approved in writing by the author before publication.
Submission Process and Components
(For each submission)
- Include, in the body of the e-mail, a confirmation that you have read and understand these guidelines.
- Include a short biography of the author. Space will determine how much can be used.
- Note: A company cannot be the author of any article.
- Example (fictional) biography:
“John Smith, PMP, has been managing IT projects for over ten years, primarily in the healthcare industry. He currently works as a Senior Project Manager for Iowa Health System, one of the leading health networks in Iowa.”
- Include your name as you wish it to appear in the newsletter. This may include certifications and/or degrees (Masters level or above).
- Include your contact information (e-mail and phone). This information is for contact purposes only and will not be published.
- Submit your article (Microsoft Word format preferred: .doc) via e-mail as an attachment.
- Submit any illustrations or photographs as separate e-mail attachments (.jpg or .gif files).
- Indicate your preferred publication date, if applicable. If you wish to have your article published in a specific edition of the newsletter, please ensure that your submission is received by the desired edition’s submission deadline date.
- Send your submission to Vice President of Communications & Publicity.